<span class="highlight">Satellite</span> <span class="highlight">TV</span> Feedback

Have learnt from recent experience and had it confirmed by a qualified sat TV installer in Carnarvon that any satellite dish smaller than 85cm diameter does not work well, if at all, in extensive areas of Western Australia's north west coast, starting from about 150km north of Geraldton. The southern areas of WA apparently are no problem (which I can attest to, although only a recent user of sat TV). This 'feature' of the Aurora system using the Optus C1 satellite was, strangely, not mentioned by the retailer we bought from in Perth earlier this year. I expect there will be many more like me (I have an 80cm x 75cm elliptical dish), or those with smaller dishes who may have had the same experience or may be about to find out the real story as they travel north. Anecdotally, I hear that there were 'hundreds' of sales of a system using a 50cm diameter dish at the recent Perth Caravan and Camping Show as they travel north. Hope they're not disappointed!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snoopyone - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:47

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 07:47
Correct We had a similar dish with the flatter top and bottom and got reception everywhere we had a line of sight.

Had some with 60cm dishes right beside us that we couldnt get to tune in.
Thas was at Tennant Creek

Usually the further south you go the harder it is to tune as the angle is much lower.

AnswerID: 455008

Reply By: Faulic_McVitte - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 10:24

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 10:24
Have used 65cm dish for 10 years and presently 20km north of Geraldton on the beach. Been everywhere in Australia with 65cm dish and never had a problem with getting reception. During heavy rain had issues with breaking up but so did the bloke with the 75cm dish.
Matter of fact there is no issue where you are located with dish size, the two areas of Australia that can be an issue are the extreme south west corner of WA and the extreme North East Corner of Qld from Chillagoe north east.
AnswerID: 455023

Reply By: hazo - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 20:35

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 20:35
Just an excuse to sell you a bigger dish.

I have travelled extensively throughout WA, both North and South and have only ever used a 65cm (ex Foxtel) dish.
I am currently in Shark Bay using the same dish, and last couple of years for 3-4 months at 80 Mile beach.

It is more critical to have the "skew angle" correct in these so called difficult areas but a 65cm dish is fine.

Some of the cheap chinese dishes are very difficult to align and the folding arm type can be a nightmare to set up. but otherwise its just operator error and bad skew angle setting.
AnswerID: 455068

Sponsored Links